Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing – a hygienic ear piercing method
Blomdahl has developed medical ear and nose piercing methods and jewellery since 1985.
Are ear piercings safe?
Blomdahl’s medical piercing method is designed according to the key principles of health care – it protects you from infections. Our medical piercing method is known in the field of health care as a “modern and aseptic technique”. This means that our products and methods are designed to be safe so that bacteria, infections and inflammations cannot spread during piercing. Piercing earrings are designed to ensure the optimal healing of the skin after the piercing.
Do you also pierce children’s ears?
Yes, we welcome piercing customers of all ages, babies and children included. Our youngest customer was six weeks old, and we are all well practiced in piercing the ears of babies, too.
Is there anything that should be done to prepare for a child’s ear piercing?
For small children, we recommend applying Emla local anaesthetic cream, available from pharmacies, on the earlobes at least one hour before the piercing. This ensures that the earlobe is suitably numb, and the child or baby will probably not even notice that the piercing is done.
What part does the mother or father play in ear piercing?
Parents should discuss ear piercings and any anxiety or fear the child may feel with the child at home in advance. We do piercings, but we cannot and will not force the child. It is the parents’ job to talk about the issues related to ear piercing at home in advance so that at the salon, the child is sure and willing to get an ear piercing.
You should also know that because our earrings come in sterile individual packages, we must always charge full price for the earrings if the child refuses the piercing after the package has been opened.
How is the piercing done?
The skin is first cleaned with a disinfectant, and the future placement of the earring is marked on the skin with a pen. The piercing is done using a sterile earring installed in a sterile cartridge. All parts that come into contact with the skin are sterile, and they have not been in contact with anything else before the piercing.
Are the piercing earrings included in the price?
Yes. The piercing is done by “shooting” the piercing earring directly into place in the earlobe. The piercing earring is always included in the price of the piercing.
Can I bring my own piercing earrings?
No, you cannot. The piercing can only be done with Blomdahl’s own sterile piercing earrings.
Will ear piercing hurt?
No. Yes. A little. The piercing feels different for everyone. Some say that they get a slightly burning sensation, while others compare it to a mosquito bite. The location feels warm and maybe a bit uncomfortable immediately after the piercing, but this will pass soon. The piercing of the ears is just one quick snap per ear. It hurts less and happens faster than a vaccination. For small children, we recommend applying Emla local anaesthetic cream, available from pharmacies, on the earlobes at least one hour before the piercing. This ensures that the earlobe is suitably numb, and the child or baby will probably not even notice that the piercing is done.
Do you pierce both ears at the same time?
No, we do not. We always pierce one ear first and the other one immediately afterwards.
Do you offer cartilage piercings?
No, we do not. We only pierce the soft part of the earlobe. Cartilage piercings are not a simple procedure like a traditional ear piercing. Such piercings are always done by a piercer at a piercing parlour.
Do I need to reserve an appointment for an ear piercing?
Yes, you need to make an appointment for ear piercings, just like any other service.
After the piercing
Keep the piercings you have just got clean and dry. Always change the earrings carefully, and preferably use only skin-friendly earrings.
What are piercing earrings like?
Blomdahl piercing earrings are sterile, individually packaged earrings mounted on a sterile holder. All Blomdahl earrings are designed to be as comfortable to use as possible.
• Attention has been paid to the details of piercing earrings so that they are pleasant to wear and allow the hole to heal as well as possible without any issues.
• Piercing earrings are small and light.
• The lower part of the earring is rounded to allow air to circulate in the fresh hole.
• The elegant and refined settings showcase the crystals brilliantly.
• Protecting the tip of the earring is a small, yet very important detail.
• Thanks to the protection, the earring will not irritate the sensitive skin behind the ear.
• The material of the piercing earrings we use at Fenix is medical plastic.
The piercing earring must be used throughout the hole’s healing period, or approximately six weeks. If you change the earring before the hole is fully healed, the risk of infection and allergic reactions increases. For this reason, it is important that the earrings both look and feel good.
After the healing period, you can remove the piercing earrings and replace them with a different pair. However, it may take as long as a year for the piercing to heal fully. This is why you should always wear earrings for the first year without interruptions.
Home care instructions after an ear piercing
• Ear piercing earrings are worn for 6 weeks after the procedure.
• Only touch your ears with clean hands.
• Do not remove your earrings from the piercing during the following year even while cleaning them.
• Only remove the earrings if the holes are infected.
• While in the shower, you can wash your earlobes with soap and running water.
• If you wish, you can also use a disinfectant to clean your earlobes.
• When the fresh hole is healed (after 6 weeks), you can change to normal earrings with a thin post. We recommend using Blomdahl’s titanium, silver-coated titanium or gold-coated titanium earrings.
• You must not use piercing earrings ever again after the healing period. If you put the piercing earring back a few weeks later after you have already been using a normal earring with a thin post, the piercing earring may tear the hole open again.
Please note that just like any other earring, the piercing earring can also come loose and fall out. Dressing, undressing, hobbies and games in particular may result in the piercing earring being torn off. If a piercing earring falls out or is lost, you can purchase a new one from us for €9. The ear piercing service does not include a guarantee of new earrings to replace lost ones.