What are volume vs classic lashes?
- Volume lashes use a different application technique and extremely light lash fibres.
- In volume lashes, up to six gorgeous and ultralight fibres can be applied to one natural eyelash.
- The end result is both more striking and lighter than with traditional lash fibres.
- In classic lashes, one fibre is glued on one natural eyelash. One classic-style fibre is clearly thicker than the volume fibres.
- Volume lashes are very safe for natural lashes.
- Volume lashes also give a thick line of lashes for people whose own lashes are not very voluminous.
In volume and classic lashes, the lashes are always attached to individual natural eyelashes. Now the methods and materials have developed to allow 2–6 volume fibres or one classic fibre to be attached to a single natural eyelash without damaging it.
Are volume lashes heavy?
No. An individual volume lash fibre is more than six times lighter than a traditional lash fibre.
Does it take longer to apply volume lashes than classic ones?
The application of volume lashes takes only slightly longer than traditional eyelash extensions, depending on the desired end result and the amount of volume. Professional technicians use a special technique to create beautiful eyelash fans from individual eyelashes. This makes the application process faster in relation to the number of lashes.
Is there an age limit for eyelash extensions?
Yes, we only offer volume lashes and classic eyelash extensions to customers who are 16 years or older.
How often do eyelash extensions need maintenance?
Eyelash maintenance is done every 2–4 weeks, when eyelash extensions are attached to the new growth of lashes. The normal growth cycle of eyelashes is 60–90 days, after which old lashes are shed and replaced by new eyelashes.
Your eyes always have eyelashes at different stages of growth. Lashes are shed every day as their growth period ends, but there are also always new lashes growing to replace them.
We recommend maintaining your eyelash extensions every 2–4 weeks to fill in the areas where you can see that lashes have been shed and new eyelashes have grown long enough to attach new extensions again. Due to the eyelash growth cycle, the maintenance interval can vary a lot.
Why do my eyelash extensions fall off so quickly?
If you usually shed more eyelashes in one eye than the other, it is caused by sleeping on your side, meaning that the eye in question is exposed to more friction.
Touching the lashes too often, oil-based cosmetics, mascara, heat, sauna, solarium, hot steam, oil-based food supplements, changes in the hormone balance, eye drops and certain medications may cause the lash extensions to fall off earlier than expected.
During a beach holiday, you typically shed more lashes than usual due to the sun, sunscreens, swimming and the sharp change in climate.
How do you take care of eyelash extensions?
In addition to brushing the eyelash extensions, washing them daily is the only thing you need to do keep your lashes beautiful during the whole maintenance interval.
Instructions before lash extension treatment
Classic eyelash extensions and volume lashes must always be attached to clean natural eyelashes. Washing the lashes approx. 2–3 h before the application of extensions/eyelash maintenance is recommended.
Just like different types of hair, natural lashes also behave in different ways when wet and while drying. If the customer’s lashes are naturally porous, wetting them right before maintenance will not do any harm. Natural lashes can be dried easily by patting them dry with a tissue, for example.
With other customers, natural lashes may take longer to dry after becoming wet. If natural lashes still contain large amounts of moisture when new lashes are being applied, the moisture inside the eyelash will prevent the adhesive from being fully absorbed by the natural lashes. In that case, there is a risk of the adhesive only adhering superficially to the eyelash.
A superficial adhesive bond will break prematurely, and as a result, eyelash extensions will also fall off too soon.
It is difficult even for a professional to tell just by looking whether wetting the lashes right before maintenance will damage their durability. Therefore, the general instructions for customers are to wash the lashes carefully approximately 2–3 hours before the application of extensions. Extensions can only be applied to clean lashes, because dirt is even worse than getting the lashes wet before maintenance.
The technician reserves a certain amount of time for the application and maintenance of lashes. If the lashes must be cleaned and dried before use, this inevitably reduces the time available for applying the extensions.
Alternatively, the technician can reserve a longer period of time for cleaning the eyelashes during the service, which in turn increases the cost of the service.
Therefore, we very highly recommend that you follow the technician’s instructions on washing the lashes in order to achieve a long-lasting result.
Please make sure that:
- When getting lash extensions, you are not wearing mascara and your lashes are clean and dry. Cleaning lashes harshly with a makeup remover or even with just water right before applying the extensions may affect the bond strength of eyelash adhesive considerably, which means that the extensions may not stay in place nearly as well as when applied to dry, clean lashes.
- At least 2 hours must have passed after the last time the eyes were wet.
- If eye makeup is only removed at the same time with maintenance, this is likely to have a negative impact on how long the fibres stay in place.
- Please also read the terms and conditions of our guarantee at the end of the page.
What kind of adhesive is used with eyelash extensions?
Professional technicians attach eyelash extensions and volume lashes with a cyanoacrylate-based eyelash adhesive designed for the purpose. The eyelash adhesive forms a very strong bond when it is absorbed by the natural lash, while also surrounding the natural lash and the lash fibre/fan. After curing, the bond is 100% waterproof.
Eyelash adhesives cure (become “dry”, or change from liquid to solid form) with the help of air humidity. Contrary to popular belief, the adhesives designed for use with eyelash extensions are not air-cured.
Can you become allergic to eyelash adhesive?
Yes. Cyanoacrylate is an easily evaporating adhesive with a sharp smell. Adhesive vapours near the eyes may cause an allergy. In that case, the only option is to have the eyelash extensions removed as quickly as possible. All eyelash adhesives are cyanoacrylate-based. If you have had an allergic reaction once, you should not try eyelash extensions ever again.
By getting eyelash extensions, the customer always takes a conscious and voluntary risk of becoming sensitive to the adhesive. An allergic reaction does not give you the right to cancel the sale.
Care instructions for eyelash extensions
Your eyelash extensions will stay beautiful longer when you take proper care of them.
Can you wet the eyelash extensions?
Your eyelash technician uses an eyelash adhesive dryer and gives your lashes a light moisturising spray after they have been attached. The moisture cures the eyelash adhesive extremely rapidly, which means that it is no longer necessary to avoid getting the lashes wet for a certain period after the treatment.
Note that the technician only uses a tiny amount of moisture to cure the bond. If the lashes get wet with plenty of water immediately after they have been applied without first hardening the adhesive with eyelash adhesive dryer, the adhesive will “shock cure” too quickly. If large amounts of water are used, the natural lashes will also absorb the water before the adhesive has been optimally absorbed by the natural lashes. This may again lead to the eyelash extensions falling off too soon.
What to avoid for 24 hours after eyelash extensions
- Wetting, showering, washing the eyes (to allow the adhesive to cure properly)
- Spray tan
- Applying creams on the skin around the eyes
- Touching the lashes
- Mascara and eye makeup
- Sauna and hot steam
- Swimming and exercise that causes perspiration
- Contact lenses
- Sleeping on your stomach: this could cause the lashes to turn in the wrong direction as they dry
What to avoid for 48 hours after eyelash extensions
- Hot steam
Never use these with eyelash extensions
- Eyelash curlers
- Oil-based products, oil-based eye makeup removers
Do you need to wash eyelash extensions?
Impurities from the skin and the environment accumulate on eyelashes and their roots. People with eyelash extensions may try to make the extensions last longer by not getting them wet. In reality, not washing the lashes shortens their life and in the worst case, it may even expose you to inflammations.
If the lashes are not washed carefully every day, the dirt accumulated in the root of the lashes prevents the natural lashes from absorbing eyelash adhesive, which reduces the life of eyelash extensions. The dirt on the roots of the lashes contains bacteria that may expose you to issues such as an unpleasant eyelid infection called blepharitis.
We still frequently encounter the idea that you should not clean or wet eyelash extensions or volume lashes. This is false, and cleaning the lashes carefully with water and a cleanser should absolutely be a part of the daily routine of everyone with eyelash extensions.
How to clean your eyelash extensions
- Wet your hands and face with plenty of water.
- Apply a small amount of cleaning gel, the size of a walnut, on your palm.
- Rub your hands together to create foam.
- The gel forms an effective cleaning foam with water.
- Use the foam to clean your lashes and remove makeup from your whole facial area.
- Rinse your face.
- Lightly pat your face and lashes dry.
- Brush the lashes, if necessary.
You can get more information on how to clean your lashes from your personal eyelash technician. Please also read the terms and conditions of our guarantee at the end of the page.
Terms and conditions of guarantee for eyelash extensions
Our lashes have a guarantee period of one week (7 days).
The guarantee does not apply to lashes that have been used or treated incorrectly, or if the 24 h drying time has not been observed.
Claims for a refund must be made immediately or no longer than 7 days after the lashes were applied. After this, the guarantee is no longer valid.
To retain the validity of the guarantee, please make sure that:
- Your lashes are dry and clean when you arrive for eyelash extensions
- You do not allow your lashes to get wet for 2 h before you arrive.
- You care for your lashes in accordance with the care instructions.
- You clean your lashes regularly.
- You brush your lashes every day.
- You use a cleanser intended for eyelash extensions.
- You only use oil-free skin care products.
- You do not apply any medicinal drops or creams in or on your eyes or eyelids.
- The length and weight of eyelash extensions has been selected to match the condition of your own lashes. If you have chosen lashes that are too long or heavy despite the recommendations of the technician, the guarantee does not cover lash repairs.
- You do not travel to warm countries on a beach holiday.
- If your eyes watered a lot while the eyelashes were applied for reasons not due to the technician, the terms and conditions of the guarantee will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Repairs due to no other reason than lack of durability are free of charge for only one time per application.
- The guarantee only covers your extensions if they are treated correctly.